The Informer

The Student News Site of Cerritos High School

The Informer

The Informer

Planning to Participate in Politics?

picture credits: Canva

Election days are when the citizens of America vote for public officials at all levels of government whether it be local, state, or federal government personnel. To this day, young people have some of the lowest turnouts in our elections, making early registrations and simple ways to vote a vital part of bringing the younger generations to participate in the politics of the world in the world around us. Elections are the foundation of our republic, a government for the people and by the people as per our constitution, so why not have a voice in it? 

In the midterm elections of 2022, 27% of people between the ages of 18-29 participated by casting a ballot. Although the numbers fell seemingly short, the election had the second-highest youth voter turnout in almost three decades. 

Some think elections are only every four years because that’s when presidential ones are, but minor elections are just as important. Local elections are held every year, where officials in towns and cities, including Cerritos, are voted for to make positive changes that directly impact the community you live in. This includes that of school board officials who decide on policies, curriculum, and budgeting pertaining to the arts and academics of schools K-12. Despite this, turnout rates in local elections are drastically lower than in state or federal elections. 

The students of Cerritos who will be turning 18 in the following year will, for the first time ever, be given an opportunity to participate in politics and represent their communities by voting for public officials, including the long-awaited presidential election in the year 2024. In the state of California, voting has never been easier, as you can vote online in minutes without the submission of paperwork. For students wanting to get a head start, the age for pre-registration starts at 16 years old. 

In the words of history teacher Mr. Jeans, “Voting is the single-most impactful way that the average citizen can, and should, participate in our republic.  Failure to vote is a failure to fulfill the duties that were established in the Constitution for every citizen in our country.” Fulfilling this civic duty can be done with what many already plan on doing before they reach the age of 18, getting a driver’s license. When so many are already making their way to the DMV, it is the best time to get registered.

The ballot is powerful, and getting into the habit of participating and staying up to date with what is happening in government starting at age 18 is a habit to stick with. Vote to voice what you find to be important issues of today like medical care, climate change, or even where your tax money goes. The process can be confusing and new to many soon-to-be adults, but having a say on the future is worth it.