The Informer

The Student News Site of Cerritos High School

The Informer

The Informer

“Swiftie” Ms. Hidalgo Joins The English Department

Alice Hernandez
Ms. Hidalgo in front of her students’ college banners

Meet Evelyn Hidalgo, a new teacher at CHS who teaches ninth-graders in English I CP, English I Honors, and AVID. 

ABCUSD alumni Hidalgo graduated from Cal State Long Beach with a degree in English Education. After earning her credentials, she tutored elementary school students for a short while. However, she quickly realized her true calling might be teaching high school students.

Hidalgo started as a student teacher at CHS for half a semester during the 2022-2023 school year. She then became an English teacher at CHS for the 2023-2024 school year, meaning she was here to stay.

Hidalgo explains, “In high school, I had a few teachers who just created such a great environment to learn in, and it really just allowed me to express myself and explore who I was as a person… I was also just always encouraged to participate and that kind of made me start thinking about working with students and maybe teaching”. This greatly inspired her to create a safe environment in the classroom where mistakes can be made and students are not in a place to be judged. Additionally, Hidalgo promotes creativity and self-expression in her classroom by encouraging her students to express their artistic sides through arts-and-crafts activities they do occasionally. 

If there’s anything she wants her students to know, she says it would be that she is a huge Swiftie, which one can tell by looking at her room filled with posters that have Taylor Swift lyrics on them.