The Informer

The Student News Site of Cerritos High School

The Informer

The Informer

Usher Crushes Super Bowl Halftime Show

Usher’s performance began on the field, surrounded by dancers and contortionists photo, Steve Luciano / AP

The Super Bowl is an exciting night in America for many reasons, and if you’re anything like me, you were watching Super Bowl LVIII for the halftime show. This year’s halftime show did not disappoint; headliner Usher, joined by Alicia Keys, H.E.R., will.i.am, Lil Jon, and Ludacris, put on a truly exciting performance, featuring contortionists, dancers, roller skating, and more. 

One aspect of this performance that made it stand out was how elaborate it was; the performance started with Usher directly on the field, surrounded by frozen dancers and contortionists. Once the music started, however, there was so much movement on screen; dancers performed elaborate choreography while contortionists bent backwards, all while wearing all sorts of colors, sparkles, and feathers that made the performance so engaging and exciting to watch. There was no shortage of colors and elaborate choreography later on in the performance as well, as Usher and his performers later performed a routine in roller skates; this was an homage to his residency in Las Vegas, where he would often incorporate roller skating into his performances. 

Another aspect of this performance that made it stand out was, of course, the performances vocally; whether it was Usher singing his 2004 song “Burn” or Alicia Keys singing her 2003 song “If I Ain’t Got You,” there was no shortage of passionate performances. This, paired with the nostalgic feel of the setlist, made for an enjoyable watching experience; the setlist helped many viewers be transported back to the early-to-mid 2000s, as many of Usher’s hits from this era were performed, such as “O.M.G,” “Turn Down for What,” and “Yeah!.”

Overall, this year’s halftime performance was definitely a memorable one. One way or another it stood out whether it be because of how elaborate it was, the powerful vocals, or the nostalgic feel it provided; regardless, it was definitely one for the books.