The Informer

The Student News Site of Cerritos High School

The Informer

The Informer

The Secret History Behind Valentine’s Day

Cover of Saint Valentine – The Patron Saint of Love, by KeriAnna Jelinek

Saint Valentine’s Day is celebrated on February 14 to commemorate love and friendship. It originated in Rome as a Christian tradition to honor Saint Valentine, a martyr. Valentine was a priest in Rome who performed marriage ceremonies for soldiers who were forbidden to marry by Emperor Claudius because he thought single men made better soldiers. 

Saint Valentine was known for spreading love; he passed out paper hearts to remind Christians of their love for God and would wear a heart ring. This ring was a symbol of love and soldiers were able to distinguish him from other regular priests and ask to be married. However, Emperor Claudius was Pagan and wished for everyone to be Pagan as a way to ensure their devotion to Rome.

Saint Valentine refused to deny Christ and was thrown in jail. During this time, he cared for his fellow prisoners, and – with no room for resentment – his captor’s daughter who was blind. According to the legend, Valentine cured the girl’s blindness before being executed on February 14 in the year 270  and wrote her a message signed “from your Valentine.”

Around 200 years later, Romans began to practice Christianity and wanted to get rid of all Pagan cultures and traditions. In order to make this happen, a Pagan festival known as “Lupercarlia” –which celebrates fertility and prosperity on February 15th –was replaced by Saint Valentine’s Day to commemorate Saint Valentine for his unremarkable faith and love.

What started as a religious celebration evolved into a day that cherishes love and is perceived as a holiday to spend time with your significant other, friends, or family. Sending cards or love-filled messages, exchanging gifts, buying chocolates, or getting flowers is a way to show your love for others on Valentine’s Day; simply doing what you love with others goes a long way too!