The Informer

The Student News Site of Cerritos High School

The Informer

The Informer

Women Making History This March

Milo Yoon

March has been designated as Women’s History Month, it’s an opportunity every year to celebrate the accomplishments of women throughout history (herstory) and the amazing women of today. This year’s national theme for Women’s History Month is “Women Who Advocate for Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion.” With the help of the campus club, Girls Up, the message of women’s power will be heard.

In 1981, congress passed the proclamation that created Women’s Week starting on the 7th of March. After petitions from the National Women’s History Project to extend Women’s Week to a month-long dedication, March became “Women’s History Month” in 1987. The tradition has held and continues to do so as we take the time to recognize the women making changes in our families, communities, and lives. 

Girl Up, a club dedicated to lifting and empowering women, allows all students to get involved in women’s empowerment, regardless of their gender identification. With a group dedicated to lifting each other, Girl Up offers a safe space to honor the work of women and advocate for the equity, diversity, and inclusion we strive for as a nation. President of the club and member of four years, Michal Mengistu, elaborated “The best we can do as women, is uplift the other women around us.”

With this year’s theme, women everywhere hope to acknowledge the power there is in an individual sense of identity and belonging within workplaces and the communities beyond. in the past, we have celebrated the notable women of history as our role models, whereas this year we want to look at women actively making “herstory.”

Watching director Greta Gerwig’s Barbie teaches us so much about women’s struggles in a way that is relatable to us in the present. Listen closely to Gloria Ferrera’s speech that tells us the story of what it’s really like to be a women, the real expectations that crowd us in doubt and tie us into knots. Seeing films like this shed some light on the struggles and stepping stones that women have climbed to become CEOs, Moms, Bosses, and even Vice Presidents of the United States. 

Get involved in your community, upcoming events at school include activities held during lunch and snacks with Girl Up in collaboration with BSU and Cerritos Wellness. Find ways in the community to advocate for diversity and belonging in your life by being informed and being involved in activities just like the ones provided on campus. Stay tuned for more updates on the times and days of these events by following Girl Up on Instagram @cerritosgirlup.