The Informer

The Student News Site of Cerritos High School

The Informer

The Informer

Sweeney Todd: A Bloody Good Time

For the 2024 spring musical, Cerritos High School drama director, J, decided to do “Sweeney Todd,” a dark, comedic musical with music and lyrics by Stephen Sondheim which will, for the first time, be performed as a joint show with Whitney High School. Co-directed by CHS’s John Zamora and WHS’s Ariel Improta, with music director Aaron Al-Imam, the show promises watchers an entertaining, scary, exciting watch, with performances by many Cerritos students.

While, typically, spring musicals are performed by just one school, such as last years’ “Legally Blonde” at CHS, Zamora and Improta shared a passion for Sweeney Todd, saying it was both of their favorite musicals, and decided to tackle the complex project together. This complexity comes from many of the show’s elements, such as its incredibly complex score, meticulous and synchronized choreography, extensive amount of props, and elaborate set and costumes.

For this show, the directors opted for a double-casting of many of the roles, with the “Blades” cast performed April 17 – 19 and the “Pies” cast performing April 24 – 26. The show begins at 7pm at Whitney’s Grace Hu auditorium, and tickets can be purchased at

https://whitneydrama.ludus.com/index.php

Don’t miss it!