The Informer

The Student News Site of Cerritos High School

The Informer

The Informer

Israel Continues Airstrikes on Gaza to Extract Hamas

Leveled El-Remal aera resulting from Israeli airstrikes. Photo taken by Wafa News Agency in contract with APAimages.

Israel has delivered all out airstrikes on Gaza that began on Oct. 7, 2023, resulting in, at the time of this writing, 4,469 Palestinian deaths. This war is the outcome of various atrocities committed by Hamas, including the rape, mutilation, and beheadings of Israeli citizens. Eliminating Hamas would rid Gaza of the terrorist force who took control of the nation in 2007.

Following the most recent terrorist attack, Israel promptly warned all Northern Palestinians — one million people — to evacuate South. The United Nations (UN) soon predicted that such a rushed evacuation of people would spell death for the critically conditioned patients of some 22 hospitals in Northern Gaza. Airstrikes began after the 24-hour warning. The Al-Ahli Baptist Hospital was bombed on Oct. 18, 2023, killing over 400 patients and healthcare workers according to the Gazan Ministry of Health. While the hospital was one of two dozen other hospitals forced to evacuate by the Israeli Defense Force (IDF), the IDF did not take credit for the bombing, leaving both governments blaming each other.

Citing data from Israel, Biden has identified Hamas as responsible for the blasting of the Baptist hospital. Congress members similarly concluded that the missile was a “failed rocket strike by militant terrorists,” according to Mark Warner of Virginia’s Senate in a post on X (Twitter).

Biden has prompted Congress to pass a spending bill estimated to be worth $100 billion. The bill serves as an effort to help fund Israel’s efforts, but it also includes assistance to Ukraine and the US Southern border.

According to IDF Minister Yoav Gallant, the airstrikes are only the first part of a three stage war plan with stage three being Israel’s removal of its responsibility for Gaza’s wellbeing. As of Oct. 7, Israel has shut off water and electricity to Gaza and it will likely never resume. Humanitarian aid finally passed the blockades on Oct. 21, with both Israel and Gaza working to get more into the country.

We do not know how long airstrikes will continue. We do not know how humanitarian aid will get through blockades. We do not know how Hamas will respond to Israel’s siege. However, we do know that lives will be lost in this ever-complicating war resulting from the tensions of differing religions, cultures, and ideologies.