The Informer

The Student News Site of Cerritos High School

The Informer

The Informer

New Head Varsity Football Coach Brings New Attitude to Team

Coach Franklin speaks to his team during the Oct. 19 game against Gahr High School. Photo taken by Cristian Vasquez.

The Dons Varsity team started 2023 with a new coach, Demel Franklin, who brought a new perspective and energy to the program. His philosophy was quickly shared with the team, “I have an open-door policy where everyone gets to ask me questions. My demeanor is different off the field than on the field. On the field, I’m more of a tyrant, but off the field, I’m just like a brother to them.”

Coach Franklin knows all about leadership because he has been coaching for several years. He has coached all levels of football, softball, and track and field. Most recently, he coached CHS Frosh/Soph Football to a winning record last season. This year, the team is guaranteed a 605 championship.

His team respects and appreciates the injection of enthusiasm he has brought to the season. Senior and varsity football player, William Peterson, is happy with the change in coaching, “Coach Franklin is a phenomenal coach because he has a bond with our team. He treats us like young adults instead of talking down to us. And yes, he is harsh when he needs to be, but he truly wants what is best for us.”

Being a role model is very important to Coach Franklin as he finishes up the season, “You have to be an example for the kids who look up to you. You have to hold them accountable whether they know it or not. They need leadership, and they want it. If you hold them accountable and give them leadership, then anything is possible.”

We look forward to many seasons with Coach Franklin leading his football players to victory, both on and off the field.