The Informer

The Student News Site of Cerritos High School

The Informer

The Informer

Canned Food Drive

Taken by StickerGiant Custom Stickers and Labels on Flickr

The Canned Food Drive, planned by the Associated Student Body (ASB), is a partnered donation with “We Care,” a food distribution service in Los Alamitos. From Nov. 1 to Nov. 15, classes compete in collecting canned food that will be donated to this facility.

The Canned Food Drive (CFD) brings communities together and allows students to provide food for those in need.  To encourage greater student participation in the donation process, ASB selects a theme for upcoming spirit weeks leading to the donation event. This year’s theme is ‘Monsters Inc.’

Students are given the opportunity to bring in canned food and depending on the size and amount of cans, that class will receive points. On the last day of donations, the fourth period with the most points will win a pasta party, and the winning club can choose to either get a strike removed or have a desert party.

ASB will set up trash bins in the quad where students and faculty members can drop off their donations. They are brought in every single night. Additionally, after Nov. 15, students from the ASB committee plan a trip to the care center, where the rest of the cans are organized.

The goal behind the Canned Food Drive is to make sure the shelves at “We Care” are stocked with enough food to provide for students or others who need it. Senior Jada Chin, the treasurer of ASB mentioned that they want to “exceed our previous years of donations. We always aim to fill up their shelves, and support the homeless on campus.”

View Comments (1)
Donate to The Informer
$65
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Cerritos High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.