The Informer

The Student News Site of Cerritos High School

The Informer

The Informer

Jasmine Koo Represents U.S. Junior Golfing Team At Solheim Cup

Picture courtesy White Eagle Golf Club
Picture courtesy White Eagle Golf Club

The Junior Solheim cup was held in Spain at La Zagaleta Golf Club, where senior Jasmine Koo faced some of the top European players. Her outstanding performance caught the attention of golfing legend Amy Alcott, who recognized Koo’s potential and chose her to be one of her captains for the United States team.

On Tuesday September 12, Koo defeated Spaniard Andrea Revuelta 2-up in singles, earning 2 ½ out of three possible points for the U.S. Koo explained the tournament, “It was a tournament with top 12 girls from the United States and top 12 girls from Europe when we went to Spain. I learned a lot more about golf, and the Europeans taught me a lot more.”

Entering into the final leg of the competition U.S. trailed for 8 ½ to 3 ½ and heading into the 12 single matches making each point worth one. Having Europe win six of the head-to-head encounters allowed them to defend their title with a 15-9 victory.

Even though the U.S. team didn’t win they secured the victory in the Junior Solheim Cup, Jasmine’s journey is far from over. Koo learned and reflected off her experiences, acknowledging the skill of the European players and grabbing inspiration from her favorite golfers, “Some professional golfers [like] Lydia Ko, Nelly Korda inspired me most, but my coaches, and parents shaped my game and helped me get here.”