The Informer

The Student News Site of Cerritos High School

The Informer

The Informer

Bragging Rights, Team Bonding, Brutal Terrain: District XC Event Has it All

The district-wide cross country event, that includes teams from Artesia, Gahr, Whitney, and Cerritos High School took place at Don Knabe Park, September 6, 2023. This competition determines who receives the district title for their division (frosh/soph, JV, Varsity). The scoring is determined by placement in the division.

The event consisted of a course being run by each division, separated into boys and girls. Described as “brutal” by many who ran it, the course was demanding and exhausting, spanning three miles and covering grassy terrain and hills. This exhaustion, however, was accompanied by the encouragement and support of friends and family, cheering on the athletes.

In addition to team bonding and raising support for one another, the event is helpful in scoping out the competition. “We compete with Artesia and Whitney in the League Championships, so this is a good event to prepare for the future because you can see how good the team is, what runners you have to worry about, etc,” said senior varsity team member, Bryn Monfore.

New assistant Cerritos cross country coach Mr. Garret, explained why he likes the event,“It’s a good event to learn how to gain points with your team, as well as that time doesn’t always matter; this kind of competition is based on position.”

Cerritos secured the district title for the divisions of varsity girls and junior varsity boys, and girls. Notably, in the JV boys race, Cerritos athletes came in first, second, and third place, an achievement that is important to securing a win for the division.

The event helped to demonstrate the skills of our athletes, as well as help foster support within the teams