The Informer

The Student News Site of Cerritos High School

The Informer

The Informer

Empowering Voices in BSU

Members of BSU pose for the club portrait.

The Black Student Union or BSU, is a club on campus run by president Taviana Woods 

and their advisor Mr. Martin. Founded in 2018,  BSU was formed to create a safe and welcoming 

community for our black students and create unity with many other cultures. 

There are currently 65 members in the club, but unfortunately only 14 members were 

able to attend the group photo session. General meetings are hosted each month where games

and activities are held. Additionally, outside school events are arranged in order to expand bonds 

within the club. These include movie nights, fundraisers, and field trips.

BSU has had five meetings so far since the start of the school year. Most meetings 

had kahoot games with multiple choice questions. The winner received either cash or a

food prize. 

For future plans, BSU plans to collaborate with Girl Up on Feb. 23 in honor of Black 

History Month order to discuss as well as educate members of both groups on the impactful 

African American women in history about the struggles that black women have faced. Anyone is 

welcome to join. For more information you can view their link tree: 

https://www.flowcode.com/page/chsbsu23