The Informer

The Student News Site of Cerritos High School

The Informer

The Informer

Home Court Showdown: Cerritos Girls’ Basketball Team takes on Los Alamitos High School

Girls’ varsity  basketball faced off against Los Alamitos High School this past Friday night in our own west  gymnasium. Both teams fiercely battled on the court, but unfortunately in the end Cerritos failed to take the win, with a final score of 38-61. 

Senior Onyekachi Nwanze was a standout player, scoring three consecutive baskets at the start of the third quarter, lifting the mood after a rough first half. Impressively, Nwanze had made a crucial shot earlier in the 2nd quarter, tying Cerritos and Los Alamitos with a score of 30-30. During the final minute, a strategic play unfolded as number 22, Miya Scammahorn, passed a precise shot to number 2, Lauren Sakamoto. 

Even though they were not victorious Nwanze could only see the positive, “The game was a great test for our team especially as we learn to work with one another in preparation for the season. All though it didn’t go our way, we played hard, and will always continue to.” 

Cerritos High School girls’ basketball team is gearing up for their next game against Cypress High School, scheduled to take place at home on Tuesday, December 12.