The Informer

The Student News Site of Cerritos High School

The Informer

The Informer

The Principles of Being Principal Walker

From grocery store clerk to the head of a nationally recognized high school, Mr. Patrick Walker has taken a long journey to reach the position of beloved principal. I sat down with Mr. Walker to discuss his path to Cerritos, his plans for our future, and the principles that make a man, whether he be a store clerk or a principal.

Not all paths are planned, as Mr. Walker quickly learned when he graduated from high school. He already held a steady job at a grocery store, Alpha Beta, where he made $12.50 an hour, enough to afford his own apartment, and he had full benefits. Devoted to working hard, Mr. Walker figured he was going to be a humble blue collar worker, lifting crates and helping customers.

His chance for a life outside the stockroom opened up when a high school friend, Vince Bradshaw, called to ask Mr. Walker to take his place as the coach of a softball team. The job, at a small Catholic school, allowed him to continue his full time grocery job, and help out a friend. He was only supposed to stay for six weeks, but Mr. Walker ended up finding his true calling, serving students, so he continued on for another year. Walker is known for being passionate about sports and this led to him becoming a walk-on varsity basketball coach for Magnolia High School.

Determined to advance from his position as walk-on coach, Mr. Walker started going to college to receive his teaching credential, all while working full-time and coaching. With all his responsibilities, it took 10 years, which is why he now encourages students not to worry about making money, “you have your whole life to work; get that education out of the way as soon as possible, so that you can do what you really love doing.”

After 12 years of backbreaking work, Mr. Walker left the stock room and achieved his dream of teaching when he was offered the position of long-term substitute teacher. The photo taken of him on his first day teaching with his class still hangs above his desk, forever there to remind him of the energy and excitement he felt, and still feels, when he first began.

The principal of his new school called him to his office where he encouraged Mr. Walker to get his administrative credential. While he was not sure if he would end up using it, he decided to take the risk anyway, following one of his core principles “promote risk-taking,” he went back to school. The credential opened up a new world of opportunities for Mr. Walker, and after short tenures at other schools, he came here to Cerritos High School.

For the past 10 years, Mr. Walker has been following his principles with special attention to the cornerstones of John Wooden’s pyramid of success, “Hard Work + Enthusiasm.” He continues to be the first administrator on campus daily and more often than not the last person to leave, while attending all school events possible.

Each day he demonstrates his enthusiasm by energetically greeting students, parents, and teachers. His favorite part of being principal has always been the students, but little does he know that for the students, he is their favorite part of the day. The reason we feel this way is right in his principles, “The most important word: WE.”

With his leadership, and the amazing students whose lives he has touched, we have made Cerritos High School more than a place of academics, but a place where we all feel important. Though Mr. Walker hopes that the legacy he leaves behind for us all is that the Cerritos Way carries on for generations, to continue celebrating students; his legacy is far more than that. His legacy is that of a man whose principles and true kindness of soul make him a man who leaves his door open to welcome us all. His legacy is in the number of students who would fight to keep him as their principal. His legacy is that he teaches his principles by living them.