The Informer

The Student News Site of Cerritos High School

The Informer

The Informer

`Gabi ng Kulturang Filipino Night

The Club Magkaisa (Unity Club), along with the cooperation of Cerritos and Gahr Filipino classes, organized ‘Gabi ng Kulturang Filipino Night on Friday, February 2 of 2024. This event allowed Club Magkaisa, and other students to connect through culture

At the event, students from both Cerritos and Gahr High School performed the following songs: ‘Isang Awit- Bakit Nga Ba Mahal Kita’ (sang by Senior Denise Hizon), ‘Isang Awit Katakataka’ (sang by Freshman Alyssa Pascua), and ‘Isang Awit: Umaasa,’ a trio performance lead by Sarah Danielle Santos , Kim Kampitan, Jemiah Carys Villasin. There were a total of 17 acts where different cultural dances were performed.

These dances were listed as ‘Tula(Poetry),’ ‘Pandanggo sa ilaw,’ ‘Tinkling,’ ‘Subli,’ ‘Bulaklakan (The Flower Dance),’ ‘Maglalatik,’ ‘La Simpatika,’ ‘Kalaton,’ ‘La Jota Estudiantina (The Girl Students Dance)’ , ‘Sayaw sa Bangko (The Bench Dance),’ ‘Itik-Itik (Duck-Duck Dance)’ , ‘Binaylan,’ and ‘Singkil.’ Their unique expressive art form has been a long lasting annual tradition every year.

Filipino Cultural Night has been going on since 1992, when it used to be called PCE Filipino Cultural Fiesta; it is one of the most important events to Filipino culture. The general background for Filipino Cultural Night is to set a design to bring Filipino culture to life every year on stage. Not only does each act demonstrate the rich culture and history of the Philippines, but the students share their gift of dancing or singing, which enhances the experience even more.

The Cerritos High School Filipino Class organizes a show every year. In preparation, they practice and rehearse every single day. And that dedication shines through with each skillful performance.