The Informer

The Student News Site of Cerritos High School

The Informer

The Informer

Celebrating A Stellar Don, Ethan Soriano

Tribute poster created by Allison Marcroft

Cerritos High School has lost a cherished member of our family, Senior Ethan Soriano. A beloved varsity basketball teammate who proudly wore 22, and his loss is profoundly being felt on campus. 

Today both the ABC Unified School District and Cerritos High School have worked together to support the staff and student body. The district sent over Mental Health Professionals (MHP) from neighboring schools to handle the volume of those who wanted to find a way to cope and remember their dear friend. The School started the day with a meeting for staff to not only support them, but also guide them as they reached out to assist students.

School announcements began with a message from Principal, Patrick Walker, “As most of you are aware, we all lost a valued member of our Don’s family yesterday with the passing of 17 year-old Senior, Ethan Soriano. Ethan was a beloved student, friend, and teammate. Ethan proudly wore the Number 22 for our Boys’ Varsity basketball team. To honor Ethan, please join me now in 22 seconds of silence.”   After the announcement Mr. Walker reminded students that grief over loss is normal and healthy and manifests itself in a variety of ways and anyone who wanted to be released from class was welcomed at the media center where counselors waited. 

Varsity Basketball Coach, Jonathan Watanabe, reminded us all of the wonderful person and ultimate team player Ethan was by sharing Ethan’s own words earlier today, “I see myself being a leader both vocally and through example as I hope my work ethic will inspire my teammates to keep getting better. However, I will stay passionate for any role to make sure the team wins.” 

Upon the announcement of Ethan’s passing on social media last evening, students began to create a tribute on campus to him.  He is being remembered by his uncle, Emil Sriano, on social media, “[Ethan] will be remembered as a role model kid. A pure heart. All he wanted to do was play ball and do good in school.” The tribute has grown throughout the day and is filled with flowers, photographs, and messages of love can now be  found in the media center’s cafe.

Allison Guzman, a friend of the Soriano’s,  has created and is monitoring a gofundme page to assist the family during this devastating time. Today she wrote, “Thank you to everyone for your continued support throughout this traumatic event. We are preparing the funeral arrangements at Forest Lawn Cypress.” The family appreciates all the kindness and prayers but is asking for space, as they go through the grieving process.

View Comments (1)
Donate to The Informer
$65
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Cerritos High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.