The Informer

The Student News Site of Cerritos High School

The Informer

The Informer

United in Pink for Breast Cancer Awareness

Courtesy of rawpixel.com

Since 1985 breast cancer has been commemorated in the month of October to bring awareness to the struggles suffered by the 4.4 million who have been affected by the disease, and people who are currently battling for their lives. 42,000 women and 500 men die every year from breast cancer in the United States.

To raise awareness on our school campus, the Health Occupational Students of America (HOSA) encouraged students to wear pink this past Wednesday to honor survivors and support the fight against breast cancer. Our Cerritos football team also demonstrated their support for breast cancer awareness month by wearing pink to the jug game on Friday, Oct. 6.

In 1992, the pink ribbon arose as a symbol to amplify the awareness of breast cancer. The ribbon signifies the honorary promise Komen Founder, Nancy Binker, made to her dying sister, Susan G. Komen, to end breast cancer.

For more information, check out Susan G. Komen website (www.komen.org) to learn about ways to help support breast cancer and share the information with your family and friends. The website includes information on donations, fundraisers, volunteering, advocacy, and their traditional races/walks. They also have a shop on the site where proceeds that both support the cause to save lives through laboratory research and supplement funding so that those battling breast cancer receive the care they need.